In the depth crevasse of the Muslim’s psyche, the Creator who has created the Universe – or the Multiverse (other dimensions), with the perfection of all it’s laws, energy, entropy; with the harmony of it’s systems from the smallest of its smallest to the biggest of its biggest; this Creator couldn’t have just created all these, including us – mankind without a sense of purpose.
When the angels learnt that Allah would create a khalifa on earth, they all but wandered and asked why would He place herein those who cause mischief and spill blood:
وَإِذْ قَالَ رَبُّكَ لِلْمَلاَئِكَةِ إِنِّي جَاعِلٌ فِي الأَرْضِ خَلِيفَةً قَالُواْ أَتَجْعَلُ فِيهَا مَن يُفْسِدُ فِيهَا وَيَسْفِكُ الدِّمَاء وَنَحْنُ نُسَبِّحُ بِحَمْدِكَ وَنُقَدِّسُ لَكَ قَالَ إِنِّي أَعْلَمُ مَا لاَ تَعْلَمُونَ
And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: “Verily, I am going to place on earth generations after generations (of humans).” They said: “Will You place therein those who will make mischief and shed blood, – while we glorify You with praises and thanks and sanctify You?” He said: “I know that which you do not know.”
Al-Baqarah (2): 30
But Allah knew what He has created and He knew how to set them aright. Thus He sent prophets after prophets, messengers after messengers to remind them of this purpose. Indeed man, if left alone would make mischief and shed blood unjustly. The laws and rules for which the prophets have been sent to rule upon the people are their Shariahs – each new prophets repeal and abrogate the older one and the last of them is the Shariah of Muhammad sallallahu alaihi wa sallam, which confirm the laws of the prophets of the past and abrogates that which need to be abrogated.
Ok. so much for dramatic introduction. What was I thinking: justify the need for shariah? This needs a more thorough research. I woke up this morning with this sudden urgency to write about this topic: What are the needs of Muslims, as Muslims, in the Philippines. As minorities, we can only have as much as the central government and the constitution allows us. Let me just enumerate here and maybe discuss them in full details in the future:
1. Islamic education. This is a no brainer. If we want to raise kids as true, practising Muslims, we need to mold them as Muslims both inside our home and outside.
2. Islamic finance. This is a bit tricky and not many people realize this. Riba is so rampant in Muslim cities. An Islamic micro-financing venture is a big necessity in our areas. If people were to know the horrendous effect of riba-based financial systems and the magnanimity and justice of an Islamic financial system, they would think Islam is the solution to the world’s problems – as it really is. In Africa alone, governments trying to pay the compound interests to international financial institution, ultimately leaving off their citizens their basic fundamental needs like health and education leading to epidemic infant mortality and perpetuation of poverty due to lack of education. President Obasanjo of Nigeria had this to say in G8 summit, in Okinawa Japan in 2000.
“All that we had borrowed up to 1985 or 1986 was around $5 billion and we have paid about $16 billion yet we are still being told that we owe about $28 billion. That $billion came about because of the injustice in the foreign creditor’s interest rates. If you ask me what is the worst thing in the world, I will say it is compound interest.”
Right now, all OFW’s are required to pay in the PAG IBIG – a good idea but laden with interest-based systems from which Muslims are forbidden to partake.
3. A balance, fair and courageous and Islamic media.
4. Services that requires Islamic touches on it such as female Muslim doctors to treat Muslim women.
5. NGO‘s that advocate Islam and human rights of Muslims. A handful of this do exist but we need more. Example is Hijab-Niqab Advocay Network (HAN).
6. Islamic communities where it is easier for Muslims to fulfill his obligations in worship. There must be an area in the Philippines where Muslim converts can make hijrah to so that they can live their lives as complete Muslims and strengthen their Islam and their families. But where is this place? Where are the Muslim real estate agents? Don’t they know this is a very big market?
We can add more to this list. Time to take my breakfast. 🙂