Category Archives: kidnapping

Groups welcome ex-general’s conviction for kidnapping of UP students

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/ 17 September) – Various groups on Monday welcomed the decision of the regional trial court in Malolos in Bulacan convicting former major general Jovito Palparan Jr.  and two others for the kidnapping and serious detention of two University of the Philippines students who remain missing. Palparan, who was praised by then president […]

Groups welcome ex-general’s conviction for kidnapping of UP students

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/ 17 September) – Various groups on Monday welcomed the decision of the regional trial court in Malolos in Bulacan convicting former major general Jovito Palparan Jr.  and two others for the kidnapping and serious detention of two University of the Philippines students who remain missing. Palparan, who was praised by then president […]

Just A Simulation

Armed men abduct journalists on the way to a coverage and force them to drop on the ground during the kidnapping simulation of the media safety training course at the 4th Infantry Division in Camp Evangelista, Cagayan de Oro City on Sunday, Sept 2, 201…

Jun Lozada — ZTE-NBN scandal, Part 2

CONTINUATION: February 17, 2008 JUN LOZADA battles ALL THE PRESIDENT’S MEN on TV | # | Current events, Socio-Political — jamalashley @ 4:18 pm   The “flavor of the month” Jun Lozada battled all the President’s men for about 3 hours on Prime Time TV last night. The country’s leading TV / radio network ABS-CBN held a Special Coverage titled “HARAPAN”… Read More Jun Lozada — ZTE-NBN scandal, Part 2

Jun Lozada and the ZTE-NBN scandal

When blogsome.com closed shop some years ago, my blog Reflections on the Bangsa Moro went with it. I never thought that this Irish internet company would close down. Most probably, it was bought. Years of blogging went for naught. A few years ago, I found 2 of my blogposts from that blog in the Internet.… Read More Jun Lozada and the ZTE-NBN scandal

Two kidnapped Vietnamese found dead in Basilan

COTABATO CITY (MindaNews/ 7 July) — Two Vietnamese nationals who had been held hostage by the Abu Sayyaf in Basilan were found dead on Wednesday, military officials said Thursday. The decapitated bodies of Hoang Trung Thong and Hoang Va Hai, both among the six kidnapped crew members of the MV Royal 16 cargo vessel, were […]

Abu eyeing tourism destinations for its kidnap-for-ransom activities

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/10 May) – Tighter border security between Malaysia and Philippines has limited the movement of the Abu Sayyaf, forcing the kidnap-for-ransom group to shift to popular destinations in the country visited by foreign nationals, Save Sulu Movement spokesperson Prof. Octavio Dinampo said. “The border between Philippines and Malaysia are being tightened, very strict there […]

Group asks Duterte to put Sulu under martial law

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/10 May) – The Save Sulu Movement urged President Rodrigo R. Duterte to declare martial law in the six Sulu municipalities and urged Congress to conduct an inquiry into the alleged links between local politicians and the Abu Sayyaf. Prof. Octavio A. Dinampo, the group’s spokesperson, told MindaNews at the sidelines of “Wednesdays’ Habi at […]

COMMENTARY: Amid constant frustrations… we just need to take courage, keep the faith and persevere

(Remarks of Merlie “Milet” B. Mendoza, researcher/writer, during the book launch of The Asia Foundation’s “Local Security in the Contested Bangsamoro Zone: Informality, Hybridity and Pragmatic Imperatives” where she wrote a chapter on Sulu. The launch was held on March 29, 2017 at the Balay Kalinaw, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City. Mendoza says […]

German national’s remains recovered

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 05 March) —  The remains of the German national who was kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf last year and beheaded on February 26 have been recovered by the Joint Task Force Sulu, the Western Mindanao Command said. The remains of Juergen Gustav Kanttner, 72, were recovered at 6 p.m. of March […]

Reunited

President Rodrigo Duterte watches as eight year-old Rexon Romoc is hugged by his mother Nora at the Malacañan Palace on February 28, 2017. Rexon was abducted by members of the Abu Sayyaf on August 5, 2016 and was released on February 27, 2017, a day after the bandit group beheaded German hostage Juergen Gustav Kantner. […]

8-year old kidnap victim freed

MALAYBALAY CITY (MindaNews/28 February) — An eight-year old boy who was kidnapped in Zamboanga Sibugay and held hostage in Sulu for almost seven months was reunited with his family on Tuesday, Presidential Peace Adviser Jesus Dureza said. In a statement Tuesday, Dureza said they brought Rexon Romoc to Manila and turned him over to his […]

Freed after 86 days

Ship captain Chul Hong Park (L), a Korean national ( face covered) and 2nd officer Glenn Alindajao, a Filipino national (beside him) arrive in Davao City with Presidential Adviser on the Peace  Process Jesus Dureza on Saturday, 14 January,  from Sulu where they were held captive for 86 days. The two were kidnapped by 10 […]

DUTERTE TRANSCRIPTS: 2016 Search for Outstanding Gov’t Workers. 19 Dec 2016

(Note from MindaNews: This is the official transcript of the speech of President Rodrigo Duterte, released by the Presidential News Desk of the Presidential Communications Office) Presidential Communications Office Presidential News Desk SPEECH OF PRESIDENT RODRIGO ROA DUTERTE DURING THE 2016 SEARCH FOR OUTSTANDING GOVERNMENT WORKERS [Delivered at Heroes Hall, Malacañan Palace | 19 December 2016] […]

3 more Indonesian kidnap victims freed in Sulu

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/ 02 October) — Three more Indonesian captives were freed by the terrorist group Abu Sayyaf before noon Sunday, two weeks after the bandits released Norwegian national Kjartan Sekkingstad last September 17 in Patikul, Sulu and three Indonesians the next day. In a statement issued Sunday, Presidential Adviser on Peace Process Jesus Dureza […]

4,000 families displaced by military offensive vs Abu Sayyaf in Sulu

MALAYBALAY CITY (MindaNews/10 Sept) – Some 4,000 families have been displaced by intensified military operations against the Abu Sayyaf in Sulu province, the Bureau of Public Information of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao said Friday. Most of the evacuees came from the towns of Patikul (1,122 families), Maimbung (1,321 families), Indanan (400 families), Parang […]